You’ll be glad to hear that after my disastrous Friday, I have willing clambered back on the wagon that is #SugarFreeSeptember. And as I sit here listening to UCB, I am so glad I made that decision. I haven’t necessarily stuck rigidly to the rules laid out for the weekend but I like to think I have done my best. After all, when living and eating with the parents, stick to the rules 100% doesn’t always happen.
So breakfast on Saturday was something of a disaster due to my need for both sleep and better time management. In between getting dressed, making an epic lunch, washing up and a few other things, I didn’t have time to have a proper breakfast. Instead I grabbed three rice cakes and a protein shake as I dived out the door.
I was surprised though, that such a poor breakfast did keep me going for three hours. I think I’m lucky to have had even that. Fortunately my lunch totally made up for this. Talk about scrummy experiments working out well. And for those of you who like the look of what they see, the recipe is below.
Dinner was another rather tasty affair as Mum cooked sausage and potato casserole with cabbage. She even cooked the caramelised onions from scratch with no sugar so that I could stay sugar free. Plus the sausages were crispy despite being casseroled. Yum! Definitely filled me up for my fast the next day. And that was how I finished day 27, with a big jump back on to the wagon. Success!
Recipe for #SugarFreeSeptember protein rich salad.
- 40g quinoa
- 35g green lentils
- Cured ham
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
- At least two hours before, preferably overnight, simmer the quinoa and lentils for 15-20 minutes until cooked.
- Drain them and leave them to cool for 10 minutes. Then add your spices to them (I used chilli cumin, coriander) and leave to cool fully.
- After the lentils and quinoa has cooled, mix the sweetcorn, tuna and ham together in a tupperware.
- Chop the lettuce and cucumber and put into your serving dish (I used my lunchbox).
- Add as much of the tuna/ham mix and cooled lentils/quinoa as you want to the lettuce and cucumber.
- The salad is ready to serve. Add the dressing at the last moment.
- Make the dressing by combining the oil, lemon and salt to taste. Ideally shake before serving.