I’ve turned my Monthly Praise Posts into a link up to encourage you (yes, you) to write up your own post about what God has been doing in your life this month. You can find out more below.
Is it me or did November seem to take twice as long as normal? We’ve gone from way too warm for this time of year (I am willing to admit that may be to do with the hills I walk up regularly) down to absolutely freezing and frosting on some mornings. Plus, when did Advent begin, let alone Thanksgiving happen (I live with an American)? It seems like everything has been stretched out and then suddenly happened all at once. Okay, yes I’m a little stressed right now because everything seems to be happening at once. Yet, as is always the case, taking some time to revel in the everyday blessings God has given us seems the best way to destress.
- I finally met some Sheffield bloggers! Whoop! And it was all for a brilliant cause as we were invited out to have fish and chips, with a cheeky glass of wine, to celebrate the launch of the Moor Market‘s new calendar. For this was not any old calendar. No, it was not. You see, the Moor Market decided to get cheeky for autism! Following in the tradition of the honourable Calendar Girls, the market traders stripped off for their very own naked calendar to raise funds for Buzz Sheffield, a local charity that works with autistic children. It was a fantastic night and we had some right giggles when shown the calendar photos. Of course I bought two calendars, with one going back to Wiltshire for my mum. After all, with my family’s connections to the autistic community it would be criminal not to share this cheeky calendar with my parents!
- Bonfire Night! Every year, as soon as the Halloween decorations go up, I look forward to bonfires and fireworks. Uniquely English, this is one of my favourites nights of Autumn because if you’re going to have dark, black skies then you should make use of them! This year I went to Eyam Bonfire with Fee and a few of her friends. We celebrated with an amazing veggie chilli and baked sweet potatoes beforehand and then sparklers and a few drinks afterwards. The fireworks, however, were the best part of the night. One of the best displays I’ve seen for a while, Eyam put on a brilliant show and we all felt thoroughly satisfied to have spent time in the dark staring at the sky. It was a brilliant night!
- I am loving all the parks in Sheffield. So far I have counted five green spaces within a twenty minute walk of my flat. That seems pretty excessive for a city and I love it! This particular photo was taken while walking to the gym. So if you ever catch me complaining about a lack of outdoor space in Sheffield, please point me back to this photo. It’s just further evidence that we have an amazingly creative Creator God who has provided a stunning world for us to live in.
- Of course somewhere I had to sneak in a photo of me working in a coffee shop. I am blessed with how many coffee shops and cafes there are on campus. Though I keep exhausting my week’s budget (oops), I love that I have the freedom to work in a coffee shop if I want to. Next week, when I am stressing over presentations and reading, I’m definitely sensing that some coffee shop study sessions may have to happen. Stress management and all that! But seriously, I thank God that I do live somewhere where I can go and work in a coffee shop. Such a luxury and blessing.
- My friend James, from the good ol’ undergraduate days, came to visit Fee and me in Sheffield earlier this month. It was a great afternoon, sampling food from three of Glossop/West Street’s finest as well as generally catching up about life in general. Friendships like those with Fee and James are such a wondrous thing as it always seems like we pick up exactly where we left off before no matter how long it has been. Plus, being treated to pizza at Bloo 88 was fantastic!
- Talking of friends, let me introduce you to Noor. As you might be able to guess from the hijab, Noor is a Muslim. She is also one of the best people I know to discuss modest fashion with. We could genuinely discuss how to make clothing more modest and what we each define as modest all day. However, there is also Shakespeare, food, religions, Britishness and various other topics we have to discuss too. Just two girls putting the world to rights every Wednesday really. Plus she introduces me to the best places for brunch!
- This year was my first ever Thanksgiving meal. Basically, it turns out that living in a global flat is a fantastic opportunity to try out new food traditions. As our flat includes an American, we decided that treating her to a proper Thanksgiving was a perfect excuse to try another tradition. Though we had some hiccups with the turkey, I think it was one of the funniest and most fun meals I’ve ever had. Sweet potato casserole and macaroni cheese was a peculiarly good combo as well.
- Recently I have started setting myself weekly goals to kickstart a healthier lifestyle again. This includes a minimum of three veg smoothies a week. Yes, I’m not drinking smoothies as regularly as I used to as they are a little on the expensive side. Starting my day with a smoothie does make me feel so much better as I know I’m filling my body with good things. It’s amazing really, that God has given us all we need to sustain our lives in the form of natural food.
- Who else is loving the chilly weather at the moment? So it’s not the nicest weather to outside in, particularly if you don’t wrap up properly. But when I was walking to the library and came across this glittery lawn, I just had to snap it. Taking a few seconds here and there to remember what a beautiful world we have been given is good for the soul. Just take a moment to connect with the world God has given us to steward.
November has been a long month of ups and downs. While it looks like I have a stressful month ahead in December, at least I can go into it knowing that November was full of fun, friends and blessings. For that all I can do is praise and thank God.
Monthly Praise Post Link Up
- Concentrate on the good things that have happened over the last month. That could be the obvious or even how God has turned a rubbish situation into a good one (like forcing me to take time to chill via my wrists).
- Read the link that appears before yours. Maybe even leave a comment on the page so they know you’ve read it. Let’s build a community of Christian girls and guys celebrating with and supporting each other.
- Use the button below to let everyone know about the Monthly Praise Posts. Let’s see people praising God for the everyday stuff all over the web! (I even included HTML code for your web design ninjas. Or you can copy and paste the button)