Oh January! So full of promise and time only to end up filled with stress and tiredness. What happened? I started off the month fully ahead and planned out, able to devote so much time to you guys here at CounterCultural. CounterCouture. And then suddenly I was out every night and filling up my weekends! What happened? I have no idea. What I do know is that God has still been incredibly good to me and has walked by me through every minute of January, regardless of how much I was talking to and relying on Him.
For all my moaning, January has actually been a really good month. I can only thank God for that as He pulled me through the end of the month. So let’s concentrate on the good things He has given me with some of my highlights from the first month of 2016:
- I had to include my very first photo of 2016! Sometimes I really do get fed up with living in a rural town with relatively few amenities but when I look out my window or I go off for a long walk, I’m reminded about how much I do love living in the countryside. It sounds corny, but moving back home really has turned out to be a blessing in disguise.
- Having time over the Christmas holidays and the start of January was just amazing! Until my RSI kicked in from using my time too productively on the laptop
nonstopmost of the time. I’m starting to think my dodgy wrists are God’s latest way of telling me to slow down and chill out. So I went and watched The Wolverine, ate Nicaraguan chocolate (so intense), drank hot water with lemon and ginger, and listened to music. Once I’d calmed down, I really enjoyed myself and guess what… I was more productive afterwards. Unfortunately, I know me and this is a lesson God will probably have to teach me repeatedly.
- This month I’ll be posting a review of the cacao Crobar from GathrFoods. Yep, I was sent a few samples of one of the latest clean-eating bars to be released. A little different from my trusty Nakd bars, Crobars are made with cricket flour alongside the expected nuts and dried fruit. I won’t tell you too much (you’ll have to wait for the proper review) but it definitely caused a stir in the office when I explained what they were.
- I have finally bitten the bullet and tried using hemp protein powder in pancakes. Though I’ve been using it smoothies where I can disguise the colour, I had been put off pancakes by the colour. Murky green pancakes anyone? I can now officially say I was a fool and never judge a pancake by its colour. These cacao protein pancakes were delicious with trail mix and rhubarb yogurt over the top. Perfect with a glass of milk, whether it’s dairy or not.
- Oh my days, I cannot believe I did this shoot! Directly before snapping this photo to show how tired I was, I took outfit photos on a platform at Bristol Temple Meads. You know, where people could see me! I don’t know what I was thinking! But when your weekend is taken up with travelling to see friends, you make use of the time you have. I also had a fantastic weekend in Harrogate when I arrived. Catching up with the guys from university is always good fun and even more so when you throw in a game of Paranoia!
- New bookends! Aren’t they just so cool and random. As I said on Instagram, they’re inspiring me to attack life a little bit more… that is when they haven’t fallen over because they can’t cope with A4 notebooks. Oooops!
- Now that I’m going to be a Masters student, I need to start thinking about my thesis. Obviously that means a trip to London in order to see the collections I’m hoping to use. I had a massively geeky time looking at all the old records. A trip to London also meant an excuse to check out MAE Deli, from Deliciously Ella. I loved her ratatouille though the thai green curry was a little bland (I blame my Dad for his spice love). I’m now hoping to take Jess there next time we meet up. Widening her gluten-free horizons is the excuse.
- I love being part of a family of foodies! Living at home does have certain perks when your mum has been given a spiralizer and your dad has a new stove top smoker. Spiralized and friend potato is amazingly tasty and eating hot smoked salmon straight from the smoker is just kind of crazy.
- I bought more books! Okay, that’s not such a surprise when you see how many books I have on my to-read list (they’re kinda overflowing from the bookcase dedicated to books I haven’t read yet). But these two are written by women who kind of some up the different sides of me. Like so many girls today, I dream and plan on becoming my own #GirlBoss one day. However, there is a definite and real chance I will thrive as a “Miranda”. So I figured, why not buy both books and take all the good advice I can? Now, I just need to find the time to read them! I’m also looking for similar books about Christian girls who have made it as successful women. Can you suggest any? Please let me know.
Introducing the Monthly Praise Post Link Up
And now for some exciting news! For those of who you love to read my Monthly Praise Posts, it’s your turn to join in! Excited? I am! All you have to do is write up your own praise post and link it up at the bottom of the page (click on An InLinkz Link-up and follow the steps).
However, if you could follow these pointers, that would be great:
- Concentrate on the good things that have happened over the last month. That could be the obvious or even how God has turned a rubbish situation into a good one (like forcing me to take time to chill via my wrists).
- Read the link that appears before yours. Maybe even leave a comment on the page so they know you’ve read it. Let’s build a community of Christian girls celebrating with and supporting each other.
- Use the button below to let everyone know about the Monthly Praise Posts. Let’s see people praising God for the everyday stuff all over the web! (I even included HTML code for your web design ninjas. Or you can copy and paste the button)
I can’t wait to read about all the amazing things God has been doing in your lives. And remember, they don’t have to seem amazing; that’s what makes them amazing!