This recipe and post has two inspirations behind it:
- Christmas! I know Christmas isn’t about food but it is a big part of my family’s celebrations. My mum always has a bottle of Baileys in the house for Christmas.
- A healthy relationship with food! I have spent the last two years experimenting with different diets and lifestyles. What I have learnt is that no matter your lifestyle or diet, being restrictive is not good for a healthy mind.
So I have adapted, or reverse-slimmed, one of my favourite desserts from when I did Slimming World with my mum. It was yummy then and I think I’ve made it even yummier now. Yes, they now contain full fat yogurt, double the Irish cream and sugar instead of sweetener. But sometimes we need to learn to put down the diet plan, forget about calories and nutrients, spend too much money on the best ingredients and just enjoy food!
In order to get you in the festive spirit, enjoy a full fat, full sugar, boozy chocolate mousse. Just promise me that you won’t drink all the Irish cream in one sitting!*
- 50g dark chocolate
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp Irish cream liqueur
- 200g natural yogurt
- Pinch of vanilla
- 4 giant chocolate stars
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave on a low heat in 30-60 second intervals.
- Once the chocolate has melted, put to one side and leave to cool.
- Whisk egg yolks, sugar and half the Irish cream together.
- Pour the melted chocolate into the egg mix, whisking as you pour.
- In a large, clean bowl, use an electric whisky beat the egg whites until they stand up in stiff peaks.
- Fold the chocolate egg mix into the egg whites with a metal spoon.
- In a fresh bowl, mix the natural yogurt, the remaining Irish cream and vanilla together.
- Spoon the natural yogurt equally between 4 glasses or ramekins.
- Top the natural yogurt with equal amounts of the chocolate mousse.
- Chill or freeze for 2 hours, or until set.
- Top each mousse with a chocolate star.
- Eat straight away. The alcohol and yogurt will separate if left to stand for 24 hours.
The post CounterCultural Kitchen || Irish Cream and Chocolate Mousse first appeared on CounterCultural. CounterCouture.
*Please do not think I am promoting drinking to excess.